Sunday, November 06, 2011

Engine Start and Shakedown

With the prop pitched and bolts torqued, engine purged and full of oil and coolant, it was finally time to crank the engine.  I tied the tail down just in case and had my Dad at the ready with a fire extinguisher.   I turned the key and she fired right up.  Turned on the Dynon and all the engine parameters reported in nicely...oil pressure, oil temp, CHT, EGT...  Other than having the mag switches backwards and a small oil weep near the oil pump intake line, everything looked fine.  I pre-heated the engine oil overnight and with the soft start module installed, the prop turned effortlessly.  I was impressed how much juice my 5 year old battery still had.  I stomped on the brakes during a partial runup and they were firm and not mushy at all. 

The DAR requires one hour indicated on the Hobbs.  I've got 0.4 indicated now. Taxi trials next.  DAR scheduled next weekend.


Addendum:  Taxi test went well; however, I noticed when I got on the brakes, the wheels would shudder.   I confirmed that the brake pads need to be "seasoned" to develop a nice even glaze on the pads through a series of hard braking events.  This will result in an even distribution of braking force from the pads to the rotors.

No comments: