Saturday, April 02, 2011

Gear Leg Reinforcement

I've been told that the existing gear leg shaft in fuselage socket connection is the achilles heel of my vintage plane design.  A hole is drilled and a single bolt extends through the socket and shaft.  Over time, repetitive landings on rough ground and especially with bigger tires tends to over-torque the gear shaft causing the softer socket metal hole to wallow out.  The factory has since corrected by welding steel reinforcement "patches" where the bolt goes through.  I decided to address this potential problem now and avoid headaches later, especially since I plan rough field landings with bush tires in the future.  Several guys had purchased steel shaft couplings for added reinforcement.  I wanted to avoid the extra weight and purchased aluminum two-piece collars with cap screws.  I could not find an assembly long enough, so I purchased two collars and had them welded together.  Here are the collars as-purchased.


Here is an installed 1-3/8" welded double collar installed over the gear leg socket.  The gear leg shaft is inside the socket.  A longer bolt now runs through the entire shaft, socket and collar.  I applied JB weld epoxy to the inside bearing surface of the collar before tightening down the 4 cap screws.   I also stripped all of the paint from the socket bearing surface, before installing the clamps.

No comments: