Sunday, July 26, 2009

Right Wing: Dynon Remote Compass

I fabricated a mount and installed the remote compass near the right wing tip above the inspection opening and mount for the lift reserve indicator. In following pics, you can see the previously fabricated LRI sheet metal spanner between the ribs with the hole opening for the LRI probe mounted to an inspection plate. For the compass mount, I riveted a double strip of aluminum sheet to two plastic clamps which were then attached to the 1" compression tube. Since the compass was not very stable mounted to just this location, I then made and riveted a sheet metal support to the other in-board side. The remote compass was then secured to an aluminum platform with bolts. This platform was then sandwiched between the supports on each side with a bolt and wingnut. As a result, adjustments in pitch angle can be made by rotating the compass/platform assembly, as the leading face of the compass must match the angle of the instrument on the panel.


At this location, the compass is away from any magnetic interference, such as ferrous metal and electrical currents.
Addendum: After talking with Dynon, I decided that I would modify the compass mount to rotate in the roll axis as well. The current horizontal installation will rotate later when the wings are attached and dihedral is built into the wings so that the tips bow upward. I wanted flexibility to rotate the compass to negate this and maintain true horizontal attitude.

No comments: