Sunday, July 19, 2009

Covering: Left Wing: Tape

The left wing is complete. Following are pics of the taping process. For the tape over the ribs, I decided to straight-line the tape from LE spar to TE spar at rib locations, rather than tape directly centered over each rib. Several of the ribs were not perfectly straight, so I thought this would enhance appearance. I first tacked the LE tape down with glue, let dry, then pulled tight and electrical taped at the TE spar. I marked edges of pinked taped with a pencil and then laid a bead of glue on the fabric in between. Finally, I laid the tape over the dried glue and applied thinned glue to the top of the tape and underlying glue.



A lot of effort was spent ironing down the pinked edges of the 2" and 4" tapes so that they would definitely lay adhered following painting and movement of the slipstream over the wing.


Here are completed pics of left wing. Next, I will need to fabricate a platform for a remote compass or magnetometer, which I will mount in the right wing prior to covering. This unit needs to be installed away from any ferrous material or electrical wiring (magnetic interference) and will serve to provide heading indication (among other things?) on a Dynon glass cockpit EFIS/EMS that I will purchase later. I will mount it adjacent to LRI mount/inspection plate inside the wing with the ability to rotate the unit in pitch/roll axes for future adjustment.



No comments: