Monday, June 21, 2010

Airstrip Construction Completion

The airstrip is finally constructed. First pic shows my Dad dragging a "disc" to drive the seed and fertilizer further into the soil, which was simply broadcast over the dirt. The four-wheeler helped immensely in seeding/fertilizing. I sat off the front performing while my dad drove. All we need is rain now. The seed was a pasture mix. I also threw in oats for quick cover to protect the loose soil until the grass seed comes up.


Here is the as-built runway looking south. Only one set of culverts were needed, as drainage ditching will convey majority of runoff around both ends of the runway.

and from mid-field...

Have a lot of rocks to contend with plus some ruts. I will let the soil "setup" for one year and then return with my dad's loader and mini-excavator to extract good fill and fill-in ruts. Probably stuck with having to pick rocks by hand. This Fall I will burn existing pulled stumps and remove remaining ones next year.

No comments: