Saturday, January 30, 2010

Painting: Misc. Steel Parts

I painted up all of the primarily mild steel parts, which included: the control stick assembly, door/seat hardware, rudder pedals, jury struts, aileron spades, etc. Wanted to get this all done at once, so did not need to do piece-meal later. I used an automotive gray epoxy primer and matched a urethane topcoat to my gray exterior stripe. I ended up taking the door into an automotive part store where they scanned the gray stripe (with what looks like a bar code reader) and then a computer spit out the ingredients to match. He put the quart can on a scale, added the ingredients and then on a mechanical shaker. Perfect match; pretty cool and whole lot cheaper then aviation paint.

Here are bare metal pics, removed rust with Brillo pad and cleaned with lacquer thinner.


Here are pics of epoxy primed parts,

Here are pics of topcoated parts,


No comments: