Monday, November 23, 2009

Grass Airstrip Design

I've decided to move forward and design an airfield for the plane someday. It's located on a 40 acre parcel I own, which is entirely wooded. I will have a 200' wide swath logged and the proceeds will go towards development of a 1,400' by 75' wide landing strip. The 75' width will be completely grubbed and regraded. Topsoil will be stripped, stockpiled and then replaced. Seeding, fertilizing and mulching will then follow.


Following is my initial shot at a regrading/drainage plan, based off a site topo survey I performed. Proposed ground in pink, contour interval=1'. Stationing=50'. Several PVC culverts will be constructed under the strip.
Next figure shows a profile of the finished grade centerline, extending at -0.3 and -1.6%, respectively.
Next figure shows some of the cross sections. In general, the runway will be crowned to drain at 1.5% in each direction and then side-slopes will be constructed at 3:1. The site was designed to balance cut/fills with a net quantity moved of 2,800 CY.

No comments: